We all know that living in small spaces can be challenging. Trying to keep your home organized and clutter-free when there’s not a lot of room to begin with can sometimes seem like an insurmountable task. But don’t give up hope! With a few space-saving organization tips, you can make the most of the space you have and keep your home looking neat and tidy.
Here are some simple ideas you can use to maximize your space:
- Make use of vertical storage: Wall shelves, hanging organizers, peg boards – they’re all great ways to take advantage of otherwise unused vertical space in your home. This is especially helpful if you have trouble finding enough countertop or floor space to store items.
2. Utilize vacuum bags: Vacuum bags are a great way to store clothes, blankets, towels, and other bulky items without taking up too much space in your closet or cupboard. They also help protect clothes from dust and pests while they’re in storage!
3. Use door organizers: Installing a hanging pocket organizer or shoe rack on the back of interior doors helps utilize narrow or hard-to-reach spaces that would otherwise go unused. This is especially useful for bathrooms or bedrooms where storage may be limited elsewhere in the room.
4. Labels are key: Labelling boxes, bins, and baskets helps you quickly identify what’s inside them at a glance – they can also make things look neater if placed along shelves or stacked by the door.
5. Declutter frequently: To stay organized in a small space, it’s important to regularly assess what you own and get rid of any duplicate items or pieces that no longer serve their purpose – this will help keep your home clutter-free and looking neat! I have linked a command center where you might be able to stay organized with chores and create reminders for regular decluttering sessions in your home. If you have children, this is especially important since they bring in a lot of things in a short amount of time.
Organizing a small space doesn’t have to be intimidating – follow these simple tips and you’ll soon find yourself mastering the art of efficient storage!
If you want more ideas on organizing and decorating your home, check out my book Making Room: How to Create Soul and Style in Your Home.