Moving to Texas:
We moved! We are now living in Texas. Things are much different here, most notably the weather. Moving from Wisconsin to Texas has me wearing sweatshirts on 78 degree days and sweating too much. My daughter that loves the winters in Wisconsin is still wearing shorts to school. We moved for Cody’s work and generally all is well. All of us are missing familiar places and people in Wisconsin.
Cody and I bought a newly built home without seeing it in person, and although it is not my dream home, I am grateful to be living in a new space that I can add my touch to without having to cover or redo years of use.
I thought that after I moved across the country I would be able to write a great post filled with efficient moving tips. Instead, I am writing this with unpacked boxes surrounding me and nothing on my walls a month after move in. I have no advice on the physical element of moving, but I have learned a few things during this life experience.
- Remember that if everything you own was stolen or burned in a trailer, you would still have your family and your life, so don’t take your possessions too seriously. As my brother reminded me, “Even your home is expendable.”
- If your packed things do make it to your destination, don’t expect them to easily fit into your new home. There are still spaces that I am designing because I am finally experiencing the space in person. Be patient with yourself and the process. I am trying to take this advice to heart right now since there is still chaos in my home.
- You can make a lot of progress with a good night’s sleep and a full stomach.
- Embrace the loneliness and start looking for ways to get out of your comfort zone. As I have been encouraging my girls to be outgoing and friendly at their new school, I am challenging myself to reach out to others that may be as lonely as I am. A dear friend that has moved so much has been so encouraging and keeps reminding me that 6 months will be a turning point. My MIL said the same thing, so it must be true.
- Moving is hard, so lean on friends and family throughout. You don’t have to do it alone.
Shopping for New Home:
Meanwhile, being so passionate about interior design and moving right before some of the best sales of the year, you can imagine I have been shopping for my home. I started a new Pinterest folder with inspirational images. The Mediterranean is inspiring me right now. I love the simplicity, clean look, the blues and whites and natural woods and textures.
I have, above all, been true to what I love and my vision for this new home. If you are struggling to know what your style is, take this quiz. There are so many new possibilities for our patch of land right now and I am excited about where we are headed. I miss my old home, but I remind myself daily that I am so blessed to have a new space to create.
Also, I have to share some of my favorite things that are already being used in my home. Many of these items are still on sale!
Chris Loves Julia X Loiloi Rugs: Denim Spice40% off
Amber Lewis X Loiloi Rugs: 70% off for the 8’4″x11’6″!
Nectar Bed and Adjustable Bed Frame-We got the Split King. 33% off
If you have recently moved, you are not alone! Take it slow and enjoy the process. (Whispering this to myself.)
Leave a Reply