Hi, thanks for stopping by!
- I am a home-design-loving writer and educator from California.
- Helping people make beautiful and peaceful homes lights me up. If we can make home and family better, we can make the world better.
- I named my first daughter after Jane Austen. I am obsessed with all things British, and I am an English major nerd. Have you ever watched Poldark, Downton Abbey or Persuasion?
- I was born in Lakenheath, England.
- I talk to my siblings and mom weekly.
- My mom bought me a subscription to InStyle magazine during my teenage years. I would tear out the pages that I thought were beautiful and my style and tape them to my walls. I wanted to be a fashion designer for a really long time. I still have ideas for a clothing line.
- My husband noticed me because of my skin and smile. This is ironic since I struggled with acne and buck teeth most of my life and my skin still gives me grief in my thirties.
- I would rather create an oasis in my home than travel across the world to relax. a.k.a. Homebody.
- When I do travel, my dream trip is a European tour that includes England, Italy, France, Ireland and Portugal.
- Good books are like dear friends; I think about them lovingly often.
As you can see in the photo above, I have a handsome husband, 4 beautiful daughters and one sweet son! I met Cody in Las Vegas, NV while I was student teaching at Silverado High School. Cody was working and going to school. We met at church and were friends before either of us considered the other as dating material. Our relationship changed gradually and after a trip to Cody’s tiny hometown in Alamo, NV, we started dating.
Our courtship was rocky with 4 break-ups, but in the end we decided the risk was worth it. 😉
We got married on a beautiful November day in 2008. Afterwards, we spent two years in Alamo, NV where Cody was a horse trainer and ranch hand on the Whipple Ranch. Like our rocky courtship, our first few years was no walk in the park. (Shout out to those who worked hard at the beginning to enjoy rich relationship now!) After two years, Cody was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and I found out I was pregnant while Cody lay on a hospital bed, not able to walk. It was a wild time and changed the course of life together forever. Cody has since completely recovered and has been blessed with good health since just a few months after the episode.
In the wake of Cody’s physical limitations, I felt like it was time for Cody to pursue a career that did not require so much of him physically. I applied to teach English at Brigham Young University-Idaho and got offered the job. Cody was accepted to BYU-Idaho and started an undergraduate degree with 6 transferred credits from his previous 3 years of college! Ugggg! Eventually our strong, charismatic, and sweet baby girl arrived a few months after moving to Rexburg.
We spent our 3.5 years in Rexburg going to school, working and trying to figure out parenting. Cody graduated at the ripe old age of 30, and I earned my Master’s degree from Morehead State University December 2013. I loved teaching at BYU-Idaho, almost as much as I loved attending BYU-Idaho for my own undergraduate degree. Spending time with the university students in my classes was a dream come true. I really did love every one of my students! The lessons I taught them may have impacted me more at times, but I hope my students have good memories of their experience in my classes.
After graduations, we headed to the midwest where Cody worked as a welding engineer. We added two more daughters, a son and a daughter to the family in quick succession, bought a home and enjoyed life in Wisconsin, despite it being far from all our extended family.
We are now in Texas where Cody has a new work position. I am half-way through my interior design certificate from Interior Design Institute and look forward to serving you.
I graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho with a degree in English Education. I taught high school, middle school and elementary school and eventually taught at BYU-Idaho. While I taught at the university, I earned a Master’s degree in English literature. My thesis was a collection of poetry about being a woman called Branches. This project was incredibly important to me. My thesis chair actually said that he believed that my poems had to be written for my soul to survive. He was right.
My Creator Manifesto
Please stay awhile. I am so excited to know you, call you friend!
Let me know if you have any questions, or would like to collaborate at admin at lucyjohome dot com.
Click here to start a design project with me.