How to Choose Family Picture Outfits
We recently had our family pictures taken and I was reminded of the steps that I take over and over to find family picture outfits. It works for any season and you will get better at it as you continue practicing. It can also get less expensive as you buy classic pieces for your family that can be used time and again. Above, I outlined the main steps with real outfits that you could buy for the fall season since that is when I am posting this. I have linked all of the outfit pieces as well. Below, I have elaborated on each step and added a few steps. There are outfit ideas by season below as well.
- Pick the lead out. This simply means that if there is someone that already has an outfit or someone that has a particular outfit that they want to wear, let that outfit guide the rest of the outfits. In our family, the lead outfit is usually mine. I am the one that cares the most about the pictures and I am the one that is the most picky about my outfit choice. If you are choosing an outfit that fits the season, the rest of the colors are likely to fit the season as well. I will share tips on creating outfits with texture and character.
2. Create a color palette using the colors from the lead outfit. Here is a video showing how you can do that.
Once you have a color palette, use that to guide the colors of the other outfits. I suggest you shop your own closets first and then fill in the gaps through shopping. Whether you are online shopping or shopping in person, take along your color palette.
3. As you gather outfits, lay them out on a flat surface so you can see what they look like together in real life. I have a white bed, so this is good place because there is a neutral color beneath all the outfits. This will allow you to make sure that you like how the colors play with each other. Remember that colors do not have to be an exact match to the colors on the palette, but when you make choices that are close, it will turn out much better. The palette also helps you avoid having match-y outfits, but still have cohesive coordination.
4. Make sure everyone feels comfortable in their clothes before you have the photo session. You do not want to battle your kids or even husband because they are uncomfortable the entire time.
5. Here are some tips by season:
Think light and airy. Choose colors that are desaturated and you will all look more expensive. Here are two examples. This is a great time to wear light blues, denim, light pinks, khaki, and white. You will likely be taking photos outside so consider that your backdrop will likely be green.
Fall colors are usually warm. Here is an example:
This is a great time to start layering with scarves, vests, and blazers.
Spring is also a time for light and airy colors. I think of the color variety of spring flowers and that can help you think of the type of colors that are popular. The dominate colors in the photo example are pinks and blues.
Winter welcomes beautiful coats, hats, scarves, boots and snow!
I hope these pictures help you get ideas for ways to dress your family for pictures. Remember to use the steps outlined above no matter the season or stage of your family. I hope you have family picture outfits that you love and most of all that you can cherish the photos and memories for many years to come. Your efforts will be worth it!