creates a sense of bold solidarity, strength and dignity. Vertical lines give the illusion of height. Think of a very tall doorway or really tall walls; how do they make you feel?
these lines create tranquility and safety. Balance, harmony and finality can be felt when you encounter horizontal lines. The illusion of width is made with horizontal lines. Think of tables, media consoles, bookshelves and chair backs; how does the horizontal lines balance the many vertical lines that you see?
Dynamic or Diagonal:
creates energy and movement in a room. Think of staircases or lines in fabric patterns.
lines can be found in windows, archways, and furniture. They soften the vertical and horizontal lines in a room.
These lines are created in nature. Think of a tree branch, swaying wheat field, flower or lightning. People’s response to these lines are very complex, and can be very powerful. These natural lines are very beautiful and add interest through the chaos they create, especially compared to the other types of lines in rooms and furniture.
Like the goal for space is to create balance, it is also the goal of lines to create balance and harmony between all of the types of lines. Check out the picture above. What lines do you see in this room now that you understand the different types?
- Take notes on the kind of vertical lines in the room. If the architecture of the room inherently has a lot of vertical lines with tall ceilings, windows, and doors, consider adding horizontal lines with your furniture to create balance, especially if the room is a place you want to relax–dining room or bedroom. Always consider the function of the room as you decorate and design. The information on how the lines make us feel can help you make decisions on what to use and what you may want to buy.
- Take note of horizontal lines in the room, furniture, and decor.
- Note of the diagonal lines in the room, furniture, and decor.
- Record the curved lines in the room, furniture, and decor.
- How can your possessions be incorporated in the balance? When I moved into a new home, I found that I had to exclude a lot of pieces that I had used in apartments and small spaces because they did not create the kind of lines they had before and they also didn’t inhabit the larger space well.
The form you have selected does not exist.