This free interior design course covers the importance of space and function and how to use them in your designs. Most of you will be working with an existing space and the rest of you are designing the space yourself or at least monitoring the design of your space, so this course is for everyone!
What’s Important to You?
First Things First
Positive and Negative Space
Picture Below: There is symmetry with the furniture and decorative light. The window to brick ratio is asymmetrical which brings interest. The brick texture in the room also adds interest–we will talk about texture later. There is mirror images here and this spot certainly functions as an aesthetically pleasing sitting area.
Here are your action items:
- Measure the length, width and height of the room.
- Continue to measure the width and height of any windows.
- Last, measure spaces that are between windows, doors or other parts of the room that will divide up areas for furniture and decor.
- Write down what you want to use the room for. Eating, recreation, visiting with friends, welcoming guests, reading?
- Keep these measurements and notes handy for the rest of your planning to come.
- Subscribe to this website and receive a free worksheet to help you keep track of your preparation information.